Saturday, May 28, 2016

How to Make Healthy Strawberry Pineapple Paletas With No Added Sugar For Kids




I've decided to give it all up. I'm going to close up my clinic and start an infinitely more lucrative business. That's right, I'm going to open up a popsicle stand! The other day, we were out on a walk with our kids and we came across a cart selling Mexican popsicles called paletas. Oh, excuse me, not just any popsicle, GOURMET popsicles! Do you know what the difference is between regular popsicles and gourmet popsicles? About three dollars. These gourmet pops sold for four dollars a pop!

Another important distinction about paletas that does justify the four dollar price tag is they typically contain real fruit, rather than refined sugar water. You do have to be careful though, because often these fruit popsicles are made up of a combination of fruit and added sugar.

Recently, the efforts of multiple obesity organizations have paid off with the announcement that the FDA plans to update requirements for nutrition labels. One major breakthrough is they will be requiring food manufacturers to note how many added sugars their products contain. This is a tremendous development that will undoubtedly have a significant impact on the health and well-being of Americans. The additional line noting "added sugars" helps distinguish healthful natural sugars that are low in glycemic index like fruit and dairy sugars, from added refined sugars that are high in glycemic index like table sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.

I scoured the internet for healthy recipes for paletas. Many recipes do add sugar, which is a shame. I found that you can easily make your own paletas with just two ingredients: whole fruit and lime juice. Pineapple works very well and is naturally sweet without added sugars. I made strawberry lime pineapple paletas and strawberry coconut lime paletas for the kids and they loved them. In order to sweeten the strawberries a little, I added a few figs. Now I just need to take my paletas on the road and charge an unconscionable markup. Palteas! Get your ice cold paletas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...