Sunday, May 1, 2016

How to Make Healthy Mexican Quinoa For Kids - The Power of Sour Cream




I've discovered sour cream. Yeah, I know I'm late to the party. I was also late to the cheese party. I used to go to Chipotle and turn my nose up at the sour cream and cheese. I've always had a relatively simple palate, perhaps because I grew up in a household with simple flavors. It never occurred to me that something like sour cream would add so much flavor to a dish. Now, I realize that sour cream adds fattiness, moisture, and flavor, bringing a seemingly disparate array of ingredients together into a cohesive dish.

As I discover new ingredients and new flavors, so do my children. On a whim, I decided to make this recipe for Mexican quinoa. This bowl has all the classic Mexican flavors without the carbs from taco shells or burritos. Whole corn kernels add sweetness without adding refined sugar. Beans are a good source of protein and fiber for fullness and satiety.

But the star that pulls all the flavors together is the sour cream. I let Colin add a dollop of sour cream and mix it in himself. Giving Colin control over healthy condiments is a great way to keep him interested in what he is eating and practice autonomy. He loved this dish so much, he didn't even mind the diced tomatoes interspersed throughout his bowl. Not only did Colin discover sour cream, but so did I. Adding a dollop of sour cream can go a long way towards increasing acceptance of foods for your kids as well. If you're late to the sour cream party, I recommend you give it a try too. Better late than never!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...