Braised Napa Cabbage
- 1 head Napa cabbage, julienne 3 inch strips
- 3-4 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked overnight, then drained, julienne)
- 3 sliced ginger
- 1/2 ounce dried fish fillets (found in Asian grocery store)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 4 ounces lean pork tenderloin (julienne)
- 2 ounces dried shrimp (soaked overnight, then drained)
- 2 stalks green onion (3 inch section)
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Up to 1.5 teaspoons salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok, and using low heat, fry dried fish fillets to bring out flavor until it turns a golden yellow color. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil on high heat in wok, and stir fry napa cabbage until soft. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil on high heat in same wok and add green onions and ginger. quick stir, then add shrimp, shiitake, pork, and seasoning. Once everything is evenly coated, add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer at low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add steps 1 and 3 into a casserole dish with cabbage and bring to a boil at medium heat. Partially cover and reduce to low heat. Stir frequently to prevent cabbage from burning. Simmer for about 30 minutes until cabbage is very soft.
Many thanks to the North American Taiwanese Women's Association for their permission to feature recipes from their excellent cookbook, Taiwanese Homestyle Cooking.
To purchase this book, go to: http://cookbook.tacl.org/
To send a donation to NATWA, visit: http://www.natwa.com/page/support.html