Saturday, April 19, 2014

How to Cook Healthy Food for Kids : Help My Kids Eat Healthy Asparagus Fries!





Sometimes while my kids are crying and screaming, I like to fantasize about having superhuman parent powers.  Perhaps I might have the power to grow eyes in the back of my head.  Or maybe I could magically grow another pair of arms.  Even better still would be the ability to be in two places at once.  That way I could simultaneously catch Cailya before she falls and help Colin with a project before he reaches the frustration point of no return.

When it comes to cooking, there are times I wish someone would just magically appear with a deliciously nutritious meal for my kids that they would gobble up.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "Captain Healthy America" that would swoop in and save the day?




In a way, all parents are superheroes to their kids.  Although it may not feel like it, our kids idolize us and look up to us.  Sometimes I forget this, but then I pick up Colin from daycare and I see his face suddenly brighten up as he excitedly comes running towards me.  Because your kids already look up to you, you can get them to eat healthy just by eating healthy yourself.  In fact, studies indicate that the biggest predictor of a child's eating habits is their parents' eating habits.  http://doctorchrisko.blogspot.com/2013/12/cooking-for-your-kids-role-model.html

Here's a simple recipe for asparagus fries that can save the day for both parents and kids alike:

Asparagus Fries

 Ingredients
  • 1 Bunch Asparagus                                                                     
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • Red pepper flakes to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil 
Directions
  1. Wash asparagus and trim stems
  2. Cut into thirds
  3. Mix ingredients in plastic bag
  4. Spread on foil lined baking sheet
  5. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
  Print Friendly and PDF

What superhuman parent powers would you like to have?  Tell me in the comments section.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...