Sunday, June 26, 2016

How to Make Healthy Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice for Kids




Growing up, our family rarely ate out. Instead, we would eat Chinese or Taiwanese food at home. On the occasions we did go out, we would eat Chinese or Taiwanese food at a Chinese or Taiwanese restaurant. Once a year, as a special treat for my birthday, we would go out to Red Lobster and I would order popcorn shrimp. 


Oddly enough, now that I can choose whatever I care to eat, I often choose Asian cuisine. Perhaps Asian flavors are comforting to me because they remind me of my childhood.  Or perhaps Asian food is just simply some of the best food out there. Although I hate to admit it, perhaps my parents were right all along. 

One of my favorite childhood dishes was Asian fried rice. I used to shovel spoonfuls of the stuff into my mouth. Now that I make an effort to lead a relatively low glycemic lifestyle, I no longer eat rice regularly. One great low carb substitute for rice is cauliflower rice. Recently, I tried an Asian style cauliflower rice. Pulsed in a food processor, the cauliflower "rice grains" soaked up the soy sauce, making for a very fine substitute for Asian fried rice. The kids loved this dish, happily shoveling spoonfuls of the stuff into their mouths. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...