Saturday, October 11, 2014

How to Cook Healthy Food for Kids : When Life Gives You Potatoes, Make Colcannon!



Sometimes life gives you lemons.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.  As an amateur chef, I have found lemons to be a vital flavor enhancer.  That's why when life gives me lemons, I make delicious food!

I'm always trying to think of innovative ways to substitute healthy ingredients for unhealthy ones.  In my last post, I substituted white beans for white potatoes.  The result was a pureed bean dish that looked and tasted like mashed potatoes, but was much lower in glycemic index.

But sometimes it simply isn't convenient to substitute ingredients.  Perhaps all you have in your cupboard are potatoes.  Perhaps you are having one of those days where the kids are screaming specifically for mashed potatoes.  We've all been there.  So, when life gives you potatoes, I say, "Make colcannon!"

Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish consisting of mashed potatoes and greens.  Because dark leafy greens are nutrition powerhouses, they can really amplify the nutritional value of your meals.  In the following video, I show you how to make colcannon using kale and leeks:


http://youtu.be/E2Y_O5BPHLA

Here is the link to the recipe I used to make the colcannon dish featured in the video above:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chef-Johns-Colcannon/Detail.aspx




1 comment:

  1. I think that one trick to helping your child avoid a trip to the doctors office is to make sure that they are eating healthy. The healthier you eat, the better. It can make a world of difference. http://www.pyam.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...