Here is another fabulous recipe from Kristen Leidelmeijer. You may need to adjust the spices, particularly the chili powder, which may be too intense for some kids.
Vegan Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili
6 Hearty Bowls of Chili
- 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook until soft (about 10 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and continue cooking for about 15-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. Add water if the chili becomes to thick for your liking.
- Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.